How to Register for Virtual Events
Login to UCLA Handshake
If you have never used UCLA Handshake before:
- Activate your account by clicking on the "UCLA click here" button: https://ucla.joinhandshake.com/login
- Go through the profile setup process (some information can be setup later)
- Click on the "Events" tab in the top menu
- In the search field, type "GSO" to view all events for Graduate Student Orientation
If you have already activated your UCLA Handshake account:
- Visit this page to login and view a sorted list of GSO events OR login to Handshake and click on the "Events" tab and in the search field type "GSO"
How to sign up for events
- Once you are logged into Handshake and viewing the events list, click on each event you are interested in attending and select "Register"
- You will receive an email confirmation for each event you sign up for which will include information about how to access the virtual session during the day and time it is scheduled. All events are in Pacific time. Please do not access the Zoom link until the day and time of the session and do not share with others.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I view a list of all the events I signed up for?
- From the "Events" tab on Handshake, a list of all events you have signed up for will appear on the left side of the page
- I cannot attend some events, will recordings be made available?
- We acknowledge that some graduate students will not be able to attend some of the sessions and are trying our best to work with campus partners hosting workshops to make recorded versions or material available. We cannot guarantee the availability of sessions (e.g. no panels will be recorded) but will share with students when there are available.
- I am having trouble logging into or accessing Handshake
- Make sure you are logging onto Handshake using this link: https://ucla.joinhandshake.com/
- A common issue is that your Handshake account is still linked to a previous institution. To correct this issue, please log onto MyUCLA, click on settings (in the upper right hand corner), and select official email/ address/ phone. Update your official email to your UCLA email and you should be able to access your account within the next business day.
The UCLA Graduate Students Association, UCLA Graduate Student Resource Center, and UCLA Graduate Division invite all new graduate and professional school students to participate in our 2021 Virtual Graduate Student Orientation. This comprehensive orientation will include information to ease your transition into graduate school, introduce you to campus services and involvement opportunities, and show you just how much UCLA has to offer. Start your graduate career at UCLA off right!
New Graduate & Professional Student Portal
The New Graduate and Professional Student Portal is web-based resource designed to introduce you to graduate and professional school, campus resources and services. Once you join, the portal will be available to you anytime and can be used as a reference source as you navigate your first year and all that UCLA has to offer. The portal will be live to you on September 1st.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Week
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) is a part of our virtual campus-wide orientation session. The events are designed for all new graduate and professional students and focus on issues that are particularly challenging to traditionally underserved communities. New students will have the opportunity to learn about resources, meet other graduate students from across campus, and engage with UCLA resources in a supportive environment. The goal of the EDI events is to help new graduate students make personal connections, develop allyship, promote an inclusive campus climate, personal well-being, and overall academic success.
The Incoming Graduate Student and TA Resource Fair is a new virtual experience designed to connect you with UCLA services and programs that support the graduate student and TA experience. ALL new graduate students and future, current, or returning TAs are welcome to attend any session. View the schedule of events and directory to connect and learn more about resources. The Resource Fair sessions are designed to be a more direct opportunity to connect with resources of interest, get your questions answered, and are a different format compared to some of the panels and workshops you may see as a part of orientation or the TA conference. Think of this like a tabling fair with each "table" being a virtual session!